Sunday, February 8, 2015

SpecOps first free supplement: Using Dropships/VTOLs.

I'm starting on the writing of the first free supplement for SpecOps - Using Dropships/VTOLs.



My biggest concern is that if one side has a VTOL/Dropship then the other side needs a way to take it down.
Now, soldiers (once they start to advance) can buy missile launchers, but I'm not sure that's going to be enough. I'm thinking that a more abstract system would work better. Something where the VTOLs can drop off the troops (or exfil them) but can only loiter for a turn or two before they risk being blow up (needing a new mission, and possibly handing the enemy a victory). This would introduce an element of how long do I let my VTOLs loiter before telling them to leave, a risk vs. reward which is always fun.

I'm also thinking if one side bought a VTOL, the other side would get the same number of points to spend on MANPADS, Off-table SAMs, their own VTOLs, interceptors, etc. Basically a separate point pool for both sides. The bigger the VTOL, the bigger the enemy response.

I would have different VTOLs to start based off what I sell: Aurora, Sparrowhawk, Raven, Condor.
What do you folks think? Any suggestions/ideas?