Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Test Tutorial - "Digital Camo"

Well, I came upon this link today:


And I figured I'd give it a try:

I used an old crow vehicle I had sitting around that had already been painted in a light blue/gray with a wash...

First I laid out two strips of masking tape, then I used my exacto to slice them in half long-ways and then into 1/4 inch sections.  After that I used my tweezers to place the cut rectangles on my vehicle in a fairly random pattern:

After most of the first layer is on:

Normally I'd use an airbrush, but it was late at night and my wife and baby were sleeping, so I just used a paintbrush.  I basically heavy dabbed the paint on as not to move the masking layers.  Here is the second coat:

Applying the second masking layer:

Painting the top, and darkest, color...

Removing the masking after letting it dry for a while.

And after a quick highlight and some simple details picked out:

I'm actually really happy how it turned out.  Not too "clean" but it actually works well.  When I get some more details painted and some decals i'm sure it will look great!  

Any comments of suggestions are always welcome!


  1. I like what you have done and very tempted to give it a try myself.

    1. Thanks! It took a little bit of time, but not too long. And it was easier than I thought it was going to be...

  2. Nice technique and end-job.

  3. Mr. H, if you'd like to try the 'pre-cut' masking I've got a sheet or two I can spare...

  4. I am also tempted to give this a try now. Great job and thanks for sharing.

  5. You made it look easy, and it's a fantastic end result, well done!

  6. Thanks for this post Mr H- this is something I would like to try also. Good job!

  7. Pretty damned cool. And thanks for the link to the tutorial.


We welcome any comments or suggestions!