I'm very happy how this turned out... The decals were printed on clear decal paper (except the skull and warning text, that's from other decal sheets) and applied onto light colors so that they didn't get muddled out.
As always, comments and critiques are always welcome!
Thanks again to everyone who offered advice on the decals!
I used an old crow vehicle I had sitting around that had already been painted in a light blue/gray with a wash...
First I laid out two strips of masking tape, then I used my exacto to slice them in half long-ways and then into 1/4 inch sections. After that I used my tweezers to place the cut rectangles on my vehicle in a fairly random pattern:
After most of the first layer is on:
Normally I'd use an airbrush, but it was late at night and my wife and baby were sleeping, so I just used a paintbrush. I basically heavy dabbed the paint on as not to move the masking layers. Here is the second coat:
Applying the second masking layer:
Painting the top, and darkest, color...
Removing the masking after letting it dry for a while.
And after a quick highlight and some simple details picked out:
I'm actually really happy how it turned out. Not too "clean" but it actually works well. When I get some more details painted and some decals i'm sure it will look great!